Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pimpin' Ain't Easy

The Pimp Game just isn't what it used to be. The word is bandied about with no thought as to what it really meant to be a pimp. These days, it seems all it takes is a gaudy golden chalice, a bunch of gold chains and a bevy of beauties with breasts that go va-voom and booties that go pow [there is a bonus involved if anyone can catch the semi-obscure hip-hop reference there]. If Iceberg Slim was around, he'd lay his pimp hand down on all of these posers and assume his mantle as the King of the Playas.

With all due respect to Bishop Don Magic Juan and local O.G. Fillmore Slim (yes...the one from American Pimp...he's a blues man I've played with a couple of times), Iceberg Slim was and will always remain the real O.G. Young playas like Ludacris may sing about having hos in different area codes, but Iceberg Slim really did have hos in different area codes. Read his book if you want to learn about the real Pimp Game. It's a well written book. Slim talks about the Game, going all the way back to the 40s and 50s. Yes, the 1940s...and back then, their music of choice was the blues- guys like Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf.

Funny how people complain about Gangsta Rap when back in the day, Little Walter was getting into knife fights and singing about beating down his woman and Sonny Boy Williamson was singing to a woman when he performed "Your Funeral and My Trial". Those guys would have cut you...seriously, you would have likely been cut with a sharp knife if you messed with Little Walter Jacobs. And you probably wouldn't have seen it coming because nobody expects to get cut by a guy dressed to the nines in a gabardine suit and Stacy Adams. Back in the day, being a pimp was as much about being dressed in the finest of threads as it was about how many ladies you had out on the stroll.

When I immersed myself in the electric blues of the 40s and 50s, I realized I wanted to dress like my idols as much as I wanted to play their music as authentically as possible. Those guys dressed right.




Dig the cuffs on Wolf and Hubert's bow tie

Needless to say, I am always on the lookout for places to buy pimp (and I mean O.G. pimp) style clothes here in Sac. There are some great places in Oakland, but who wants to drive all the way down there when you only have to go south on 99 to:


Yes...Florin Road...The Hood...Where all things awesome can be found for much cheaper than Downtown or Midtown.

My friend Roni (who was also gracious enough to be my transport this afternoon...Thanks Roni!) had been telling me about this place in South Sac where they sold pimp clothes, Stacy Adams shoes (the only brand of dress shoes I will wear), and...ASCOTS!!!

[It's a long story about the Ascots...needless to say it has something to do with Craig Kilborn and my desire to bring back Ascots with the help of Mike Farrell]


I was excited and I knew exactly where we were going- Florin Road & East Parkway, right next to the old Southgate Plaza. I knew that corner well, as I grew up not far from there; right off of Center Parkway and Mack Road. I remember when I was in high school the little strip mall tucked behind the gas station on that corner had some kind of grocery store and drug store. However, it was now this:


This is why I love South Sac: A pimp store...

...next to an Asian grocery store...


...next to a Taqueria!!!
(oh yes...I'll get there...wait for it...)


Located in a space that was once a supermarket, Clothing Broker is (unless someone can turn me on to somewhere better), THE place to shop if you need all things Stacy Adams and all things pimp. The old school jams playing through the store's sound system just put me in the frame of mind to shop. The place was filled with racks of suits, hats, shirts, suits and accessories for the man with discerning taste.


Words to live by...Why pay more when you can shop in The Hood?



Nothing like a Stacy Adams poster to inspire shopping.



Roni checking out some threads in the clothes cavern of awesome!



Hey Ross Hammond! You need to get here to buy some lids!



My head is too big for hats!


Why yes, this is a pleather alligator print suit jacket!



Stacy Adams shoes? Need 'Em? Got Em!



Stacy Adams cuff links? Need 'Em? Got 'Em!



Stacy Adams ascots? Need 'Em? YES!!!


I was seriously in clothing nirvana. I actually almost bought a $400 suit for $159, but the pants were too big, but it was so sweet- grey and light...perfect for spring/summer. Fortunately for me, I got out of there at a little over $150...and what a $150 it was:


Stacy Adams shoes
Stacy Adams socks
Stacy Adams cuff links
Stacy Adams belt
Stacy Adams ASCOT!!!
A pink shirt with french cuffs

Needless to say this was an epic shopping win. I can't say enough about this place. The staff was friendly and helpful. The prices were right. How could my day get any better? Remember that taqueria you saw earlier, next to the Asian grocery, next to Clothing Broker? That's how!

But it will have to wait until the next installment, because the place warrants its own write up...It will be worth it, seriously. One word teaser: Mariscos!!!

I really do love South Sac.

Clothing Broker is located at:
7247 East Parkway (on the corner of Florin Road & East Parkway)
Sacramento, CA 95823-3131
(916) 399-9983

Go and buy some Stacy Adams!
And some Ascots!!!

2 comments: