Thursday, April 1, 2010

An apple a day...


...keeps the doctor away. Or in this case, Sidral Mundet will surely cure what ails you.

If you are in Mexico, or other places where there are lots of Mexicans and other Latinos (Like Franklin Boulevard), you will find soft drinks that you won't find at your run of the mill "Stop n' Rob". The first one that comes to mind is Mexican Coca Cola.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of suckling from the teat of the Mexican Coke, I'm sure you're thinking, "A Coke is a Coke is a Coke. What's the difference?"

The difference is simple: Cane Sugar vs. Corn Syrup...Mexican Coke made with the former and U.S. Coke made from the latter. It also doesn't hurt that the Mexican Coke still comes mostly in glass bottles, which I think keeps it colder. I can't really describe the difference, but it is a difference both subtle and extreme. So much so, that the venerable New York Times has chimed in on the Mexican vs. U.S. Coke divide:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11fob-consumed-t.html

If you haven't done so, do yourself a favor and get yourself a few bottles of Mexican Coke. I promise you, you will like it better than the Coke you grew up with...that is if you grew up drinking just U.S. Coke.

But I digress...

When you do find a place that sells Mexican Coke, there is little doubt that you will find this not too far away in the cooler:



SIDRAL MUNDET!!!



How do I love thee Sidral? Let me count the ways: 1...2...3....1,297,236,573,213

What is it? It's yummy apple goodness!

Anyone who has grown up in an around Sacramento has no doubt been up Highway 50 to Apple Hill. I used to love when my parents would pack my siblings and I in the family vehicle to do the driving tour of all the apple orchards. The best part was stopping at the places where they made apple cider. I remember going and watching the machines sweating pulp as they made fresh cider- no chemicals or preservatives, just the flavor fresh from the tree. And the free samples! That milky bronze liquid, chalky (in a good way) with pulp and other apple bits was such a contrast from the run of the mill apple juice my mom would make us our of the frozen concentrate. My parents would buy a couple of bottles of the fresh cider and my mom would ration out glasses of it until it was gone. As far as refreshing goes, based on my programming as a youth, anything apple hits the spot.

Now for most of my youth, my apple refreshment was limited to the apple juice from concentrate, the occasional Apple Hill cider, and various kinds of Martinelli's apple juice products. That all changed however when I went to Mexico as a teen.

My dad and I took a non-stop bus from Mexicali to Irapuato (This was an adventure worth writing about, but not here). Along the way, we'd stop at little roadside restaurants, literally in the middle of nowhere, where the drivers would trade places sleeping in the luggage compartment in the bottom of the bus (yes you read that right, there were two drivers and one slept where the luggage went, set up with a bed, little light and tv, while the other drove) and give the passengers a chance to stretch out and get some food. At one of these little midnight stops, my dad bought me a bottle of Sidral Mundet. My life was forever changed.

Ice cold, it was syrupy but very light, if that makes any sense. The huge difference between this soft drink was the carbonation. It was unlike any other I had ever experienced. The best way to describe it would be that the bubbles were "tighter" and more numerous. Up to then, I was accustomed to standard "big bubble" carbonation on my palate, very airy and gassy. Sidral's bubbles were like little crackles of cold apples washing over my taste buds. This was a completely new flavor and texture to me. I know when most prople think of carbonated apple drink, the Martinelli's faux-champagne apple drink comes to mind, but it's not even the same. Comparing the Martinelli's carbonated apple juice to Sidral is like comparing Bud to a good Hefeweizen- both beers, but completely different flavor and texural experiences.

From Sidral Mundet's website:
http://www.novamex.com/sidral_mundet
"Sidral Mundet’s, popular apple-flavored soft drink from Mexico has a great taste that comes from real apples and not artificial flavorings.

Made with natural apple juice, natural sugar and no artificial flavors or colors, Sidral Mundet boasts a unique and delicious taste.

Started by Don Arturo Mundet in 1902 when Porfirio Diaz was still governing Mexico, Mundet still remains the 100% Mexican soft drink with a flavor that really does come from real apples!

Don Arturo pioneered the use of what became the popular hermetapa, which assured the brand’s consistent great flavor. Today Sidral Mundet is among the best known brands in Mexico and one with great tradition. Mundet still maintains its high quality, which has been endorsed by Mexican mothers who give their children Sidral when they are sick to provide hydration.

Since Mundet’s flavor comes from real apples and apple juice, the drink is pasteurized which gives it taste as well as health benefits."


Now what isn't included there, and what I would have added, is that it is the perfect drink when hungover. Believe me...when I used to drink...well, not just drink, but drink a lot...Sidral was a godsend. I actually think they should change their website and replace the sentence that reads:

"Mundet still maintains its high quality, which has been endorsed by Mexican Mothers who give their children Sidral when they are sick to provide hydration."

to

"Mundet still maintains its high quality, which has been endorsed by Mexicans who down bottle after bottle when they are hungover to provide hydration."

Thankfully, Sidral is becoming a bit more available outside of the 'hood. I've seen it at my Safeway, but not at others, and I've been told that some Nugget Markets carry it. I just don't feel the same, however, buying it in Midtown or Downtown. Part of it's taste comes from where you experience it- whether it be a humid, mexican midnight or a hot little taqueria in the 'hood...washing down spicy anything. It is memory that makes the experience of eating and drinking as much as any flavor or preparation. Go and find some Sidral in it's natural environment and create a memory...



3 comments:

  1. Love me some Sidral Mundet! I get it every time we hit "Las Americas", the El SalvadoreƱo place in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lalo's carries Sidral Mundet too, so refreshing after stuffing my face with al pastor tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...Sidral with spicy tacos is a beautiful thing. Lalo's will certainly get a visit for this blog.

    ReplyDelete